Thursday, November 28, 2019

A Cormac McCarthy Reading Plan

I rarely engage a reading plan. I tend to go in hot and cold streaks with different kinds of books. Lately, it's been horror novels and short stories, which I love. However, these due tend to veer away from style and focus more on narrative. The result is I start missing the great stylists and have to pick up a couple other books along the way such as those by Lydia Davis or Michael Ondaatje.

So I've reached that point again with my horror reading period. To balance it, I've decided to start on Cormac McCarthy's ten novels. I truly want nothing to do with his plays or screen treatments marketed as novels such as The Sunset Limited, The Stonemason, or The Counselor. Call be snobbish, but I want Cormac the novelist in his full glory, where he's most effective and potent.

Here's something to confess: I've only read one of his books so far. Child of God. I liked it, but wasn't interested in continuing with him at that time. Now I'm ready. I say ready because I know this means I'll have to read The Road. And I don't want to read The Road. I'm never ever going to see the movie. But I'll have to put this book under my belt, I guess. I'm just not thrilled by stories that put children in danger for long periods of narrative time.  Especially fathers and sons. I have fathers and sons issues. Thanks Dad.

But, all this being said, what have you all to add to the conversation. I'm keen to hear what some of you think about his work, those of you who have read more than I have at this point. Am I about to come face to face with the greatest American novelist?

No comments:

Post a Comment

let's talk about it

My short story "I Am War, Mr. Tolstoy" published today

My short story " I Am War, Mr. Tolstoy " was published today on my author's page at Cowboy Jamboree Press.  I pull from some p...