Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Electrocurrent #1

I don't know, I'm reading a lot and writing a lot. Reading Robert Coover but dipping into and away from his playfulness to read about the North Pond Hermit. That book is captivating. I beginning to think I may be more inclined to nonfiction these days. I don't know why. The more fiction I read the less I understand about what people are trying to say with their art, honestly. I'm beginning to think, you see, that literature might be transcendent. Not in some kind of young and innocent kind of way, the way I used to think I'd be able to make a living writing stories, but transcendent in the way that it's the only thing we can create that can live outside of all this. I sound crazy. Don't care. It's the only thing that can live outside all of this simulation, this whatever this is. Coover takes it seriously but he is compelled to be playful. Proust took it seriously but was consumed with his own sense of self-importance. From Proust to Coover I'm sure each writer has their own compulsion for doing what they do. But is it worthy? Is the time taken, the viewpoint taken, worthwhile? Is it worthy of immortality? Does is add a story to the human condition? Or maybe Coover and the postmodernists are right. Maybe it is all just farting around. I don't like to think so. I like to think that the writing of literature is truthful kind of miracle. When I'm moving sleekly in my compulsion, when I'm writing the same way I breathe, when I'm writing and I literally feel as if I have stepped out of this world and into some other kind of existence that goes beyond our ability to articulate in any other way but the written word, when I feel these electrocurrents I believe in something beautiful, even in the face of all this horror. I've learned while writing this that there's no way to articulate what I hope to say, not even with the written word. It's an unspoken perfection found only by those who sit down for hours and hours a day, day after day, and write. But I can tell you this, friends, it is transcendent. Try it and see. Write until you are floating and then keep writing. The stratosphere is amazing. 

1 comment:

  1. You never sound crazy. Sometimes you're more in touch with the divine or with whatever we can agree upon is up/out there that makes it all worth it, sometimes you're less in touch with it, same as for all of us. In this post, there's more of the secret sauce and less of the stuffing that only leads to feeling bloated. Coover's wrong. My dad was a friend of Coover's when my sister was his student. They were both weird, dangerous old men, more interested in taking things apart (as the postmodernists are) than in mending. Many writers are like that, I think: on the surface they're makers because they are making something, creating, often skillfully, but down below there's emptiness. I think it shows. "The stratosphere is amazing" reminds me of the first lines of Musil's Man Without Properties (paradoxically about a man with a lot of properties). So much small talk starts with the weather and you end with it, which is wonderful. Your writing never fails to inspire, mate.

    ReplyDelete

let's talk about it

My short story "I Am War, Mr. Tolstoy" published today

My short story " I Am War, Mr. Tolstoy " was published today on my author's page at Cowboy Jamboree Press.  I pull from some p...