Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Mental Health Day (Stress Day)


I'm taking a mental health day from work today. I spend my days through the week working as a substance abuse counselor about an hour from where I live. It's a long drive to work and a long drive home. And all the hours there are stressful. Take all of these and then include the fact that I have to get up for work at 4 a.m. and you can see how it starts to add up.

The majority of my stress day so far I've spent sleeping. That's due to the 4 a.m. thing all the way. But I also made some really cool finds at my local library. I hadn't visited there since beginning to read and study poetry, so I hadn't been in that section. There's a lot of nice stuff going on in that section. I checked out Madness, Rack, and Honey today and almost had another heart attack when I came across it in the stacks. There she was, in Pikeville, Kentucky. Sadly, some other folks were not I thought would really be there. But still, a good day at the library. Especially a good day (and I'm adding this on an edit because I forgot earlier) because the librarian invited me to do a book signing there. I took in a copy of my book Brown Bottle to donate, something I've done with all my books so far, and she invited me when she realized after asking my last name to check my account that I had written it. So that was cool.

The only other thing I've did today is write and drink coffee. Brewing a new pot right now. After that, my mental health day ends. I've got to cut the grass (hopefully for the last time until spring) burn some garbage (got to wait until after 6 p.m. to do that because of a burn ban going on right now) and haul some old wood down into the barn. I'll be tired, but I'll be able to go back to sleep in enough time to get back up at 4 a.m. Everything is planned around having to get up at that time when you have to get up at that time.

Coffee is done and I'm going to have a cup. You probably were not at all interested in my day, but I just went right ahead and shared it there.


2 comments:

  1. I was interested to read this. I love library days and I don't have many of those either. Being recognized must be lovely! Second life of that novel. If I had a Kentucky accent I would do some readings from "Brown Bottle". Has anyone done it yet? The book READS well, I mean out loud, but when I read, a native listener would probably be confused throughout. Like Laurence Olivier playing Philip Marlowe. Or Peter Lorre playing anything else than a German psycho murderer. — Getting up this early must suck hard but the job sounds at least meaningful; you're probably helping people instead of only pushing paper around. Perhaps both! They say it gets easier living without sleep when you get older. I haven't noticed that. I'm raising my cup of coffee to you, mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man Marcus you have to work on your Kentucky accent because you have an amazing reading voice (I'm thinking of your wonderful reading of my story "The Body Ricardo" back in the day. But right now I'm just hearing an awesome mesh up of Olivier, Marlowe, and Lorre. That's a cool thing! No one's read any portions of it and, now that I think of it, I'd love to hear someone read some of Fay's sections. I always imagined him with this Kentucky accent with a not so subtle layer of hid old Irish speech under that.

      Delete

let's talk about it

My short story "I Am War, Mr. Tolstoy" published today

My short story " I Am War, Mr. Tolstoy " was published today on my author's page at Cowboy Jamboree Press.  I pull from some p...