Tuesday, November 21, 2017

That Human Magic


Shooting for Zen, settling for a peaceful two minutes.
Where do I start? With the heart surgery I guess.

I had a rare, minimally invasive bypass surgery this past Friday. It was the first done at the hospital where I had the operation. The local news ran a story about it. The surgery team was on electronic billboard ads outside the hospital the next day. My feet were there, under a green prep sheet, sticking out from the lineup of proud medical professionals posing for the picture.

Basically it was a whole thing.

And it saved my life.

In addition to this fare of poor health was a CT scan result of my lungs that showed some opacity and air pockets. These disturbing scans were found to be perfectly normal for a person who had smoked for as long as I had.

Two huge scares dealt with and done this past weekend. And it's not been the case without some good old fashioned human magic.

I've had so many writers and genuinely good people reach out and offer good vibes and prayers and positive words over the past week. To each of you I say a grateful thanks. If you only knew what I endured post-opt you'd know that every single bit of that human magic was needed. Put simply, I'm literally lucky to be here. And lucky to have people who continue to hope that I am.

Look for some upcoming posts detailing those post-op hours. They were the hardest of my life so far.



4 comments:

  1. Great to hear, Shel. I'LL look forward to further posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks brother. Hearing from you in the midst of all this is always a great thing. And I'm working now to try to put into words what all happened. It may end up being some rare creative nonfiction, because I experienced some stuff during all of it that absolutely could not have been real. I was out of my ever-lovin mind.

      Delete
  2. Dear Sheldon, just read this - wishing you all the best, speedy recovery, and I am looking forward to that creative non-fiction stuff. In some way, I suppose, we're all getting ready to meet our maker, some sooner some later. This is starting to work its way into my thoughts and my writing as well. I hope, nah, I kinda know it: you have many, many years left to probe those deep waters and cast your own line farther out. Much cheers from Berlin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Means a lot to hear this, brother. Thank you so much

      Delete

let's talk about it

My short story "I Am War, Mr. Tolstoy" published today

My short story " I Am War, Mr. Tolstoy " was published today on my author's page at Cowboy Jamboree Press.  I pull from some p...